Wednesday, January 30, 2013

FAQ: Renewal for EAD/AP

Q. How long does it take to renew EAD/AP card?

A. It takes between 3-5 weeks for renewal after all documents are sent.

Q. How long does it take to get receipt once document are submitted?

A. It takes around 5 to 7 business days to get renewal receipt after all documents are sent.

Q. How long is EAD/AP card renewed for?

A. The EAD/AP card is valid for either 1 year or 2 years.

Q. How early can I renew the EAD/AP card?

A. Applicants for EAD and AP extensions can request to renew the EAD and/or AP up to 120 days prior to the expiration dates of the EAD and/or AP. Adjudications in these cases can take up to 90 days, and delays are possible.

It is important to be mindful of the renewal timing and to track this date carefully. EADs are only valid for the listed duration. Even if one files the I-765 form before the EAD expiration date, the work authorization does not continue beyond the expiration date, unless the renewal I-765 is approved. It is recommended, therefore, that renewals be filed at the earliest allowable time.

The same concept applies to the AP. One is allowed to travel using AP until the date before the AP expires. In order to travel outside of the United States after expiration of the AP, one must have a renewed AP approved prior to departure. It is essential, therefore, to file the request for renewal in a timely fashion.

Q. When does the validity of  the new EAD/AP card start?

A. The renewed EAD/AP card is typically valid from the date it was renewed. Example: If your card expires in January and you renew it in October, your new card will be valid from October.

Q. Would the combo card for primary and dependent applicants be renewed at the same time?

A. Typically yes. But many times the dependents combo card is approved (renewed) 1-2 weeks after the primary applicants have been approved (renewed).

Q. Where can I find tracking number for the new EAD/AP card?

A. The tracking number for the new card can be found in the USCIS Case Status website.

Q. What documents are needed to renew EAD/AP?

A. Please see details below:

Tip 1: To get email notification at each step of the process, also send in Form G1145
Tip 2: Documents, forms and fees required can change anytime (for 2013, some forms will change on March 1). Always see the latest I-765 and I-131 instruction page for list of documents, forms and fees.

For EAD renewal: 

1. Fill out and sign form I-765. Link
2. Two RECENT passport color photos with A-Number written on the back of them
3. I 765 Approval Notice and Receipts 
4. Photocopy of 485 receipt (i-797) 
5. Form G1145 for (email/sms) notification during the application process (optional)
6. Photocopy of Current EAD/AP combo card (front and back)
7. Bar codes page attached to the previous EAD/AP approval (optional)
8. Copy of Marriage Certificate for dependent only (optional)
9. Front and back copy of I-94 (this is not required for people with pending I485).

Other Details: 
1. If you file your I-485 after July 30,2011 there is no additional fees (Please confirm in I-765instr.pdf)
2. Address to send: depends on where you live, see page 10 of the I-765 instructions document. 
3. http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-765instr.pdf 

For AP renewal: 

1. Fill out and sign form I-131. Link
2. Two RECENT passport photos with A-Number written on the back of them 
3. Photocopy of 485 receipt/ Approval Notice (i-797) 
4. I-485 Receipts 
5. Form G1145 for (email/sms) notification during the application process (optional)
6. Photocopy of Current EAD/AP combo card 
7. Bar codes page attached to the previous EAD/AP approval (optional)
8. Copy of Marriage Certificate for dependent only (optional)

Other Details: 
1. If you file your I-485 after July 30, 2011 there is no additional fees (Please confirm in I-131instr.pdf)
2. Address to send: depends on where you live, see page8 of the I-131 instructions document. 
3. http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-131instr.pdf 

Tip: Put EACH application in its OWN envelope and write the name, A# and form number on the outside for each applicant. Then put all of the envelopes in ONE courier package (FedEx, UPS, Express Mail) and send it to the USCIS. This way your multiple applications (if any) will not get lost/separated. 

Note: If you are applying for Combo Card, please send both the documents (I-131 (AP) & I-765 (EAD)) to I-765-EAD address.

You can also add a Cover Letter (optional). You can use the following sample for EAD and use similar for AP renewal or combine them into one cover letter.

To, 
USCIS
ADDRESS 

Dear Sir/Madam: 

Sub: I-765, Extension Application for my Employment Authorization Document, Alien # - Supporting documents 

Please find the following documents in support of the I-765 Extension Petition for Renewal Of Employment Authorization Document.
  • Completed form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization 
  • 2 color photographs (A# and Name lightly printed in the back); 
  • Copy of previously approved Employment Authorization Card(Front) 
  • Copy of previously approved Employment Authorization Card(Back) 
  • Copy of I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt of filing I-485 
  • Copy of Previously approved EAD mailer 

I appreciate very much if you could do the needful, process the petition and extend my EAD at your earliest convenience.


Sincerely,



Also see USCIS Fact Sheet: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=62ae15d3ffd7a110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD

4 comments:

  1. I have had EAD till 2015 March. But I left the country and got a new L2 now. Should i be applying for a new EAD or the renewal of the EAD?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I have resigned from my employer who originally sponsored my Greencard application 6 months after receiving my EAD. My EAD expires January 2016, do I have to have a current employert to renew my EAD? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can renew by yourself. You don't need to ask your new employer to renew for you.

      Delete
  3. Hi
    I have an AP valid till Nov 28, 2015 and have applied for extension. I need to travel out of the United States on August 25. If my new AP document arrives after I leave the US, will the AP be valid when I return say in December 2015?

    ReplyDelete

Comment Posting Tips:

1. To estimate when priority date can be current, please see this GC Calculator: http://www.mygcvisa.com/calculator

2. View or add your I-130/I-485/NVC case to GC Tracker: http://www.mygcvisa.com/tracker

3. You can browse or post new questions in GC Forum: http://www.mygcvisa.com/discuss


Comments posted above will only appear in this blog post. Comments posted below will appear across all blog posts:

comments powered by Disqus